Monday, March 21, 2011

waste diversion in public spaces


I frequent Downtown Ventura a few times a week.

And each trip home, I stop at the same light, stare at the same advertisement for Hollywood Fitness, think about how I should really get my derriere to the gym and ponder the need for such a boxy structure to display this mini-billboard.

This was my thought process; for weeks.

Until one day...

While conducting research for a super secret project, I came in contact with a woman from Keep California Beautiful. In short, I learned her organization had partnered with Creative Outdoor Advertising, which in turn began contracting with communities in California to include recycling bins as part of their streetscaping infrastructure.

Ventura was one of those communities.

I pulled over to take a look at the Hollywood Fitness billboard thing. And sure enough, on the other side, were two openings;

One for trash.

And one for recycling.

Wonder how long it would’ve taken, had I not connected with the KCB lady, for me to realize we had all of these new waste separation containers lining Main Street, encouraging passersby to become more mindful, consciously considering where they dispose of what. 

Apparently over 1000 recycling units have been installed across 200 communities.

We’ve got 20.

Have to say I’m a little disappointed it took this series of events to become aware of the little changes happening in my city; the ones that can potentially have a huge impact if enough are more attentive than I.

Curious. Is it just me? Have you noticed them? Used them? Like them? Feel indifferent about them? Want to see more of them?

Must say, it’s nice to know I’ll never need to shove bottles in my purse for recycling at home… When I’m wandering around downtown anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment