Sunday, February 13, 2011

volunteering conundrum

I admit this post is just a tad off topic... But needed to get this out there. Somewhere.

Attended an event over the weekend, hosted by a local environmental non-profit and overheard a fellow attendee make an interesting statement that went something like this:

You know, there are a lot of people out there loosing their jobs right now and they just need something to keep them busy, keep them from gettin' depressed. What better way than to volunteer, to help people.

Volunteering.

Do you do it?

If so, why do you volunteer?

Because you're unemployed? Because it makes you feel better about yourself? Because it benefits society?

I'll go first.

Yes, I do it; volunteer. For a few local organizations.

I volunteer because I currently have the time and the resources and the support system to do so.

I am also one of those people currently out of work. When I'm not revising resumes, screening job listings and harassing hiring managers, I've got a little time to spare. But I look at volunteering as more than a way to fill it and more than a way to give back to the community that's helped raise me. Rather, I see it as an immediate and impactful opportunity to make connections with leaders and individuals in my field of interest. They say you should associate with those you wish to emulate.

Wonder sometimes if that reason alone is too self-serving. Or is it acceptable if volunteering is helping others while helping ourselves? Does it achieve the same good in the end?

Ok, your turn.

Why do you volunteer?

And if circumstances keep you from doing it, why would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment